“The world’s most sustainable company 2019” ranks no. 2 on Corporate Knights’ list for 2020. With three Danish companies in the top ten, Denmark shows clear leadership in sustainability.
Today, Corporate Knights, a specialized Toronto-based media and investment research firm, published their annual ranking “Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World” 2020 in Davos, Switzerland. Last year’s no. 1 in the ranking, global bioscience company Chr. Hansen, cements its position at the top by coming out second on the list for 2020.
“We are honored and proud that our efforts to work for a better world together with our customers are noticed and valued. We improved our total score against Corporate Knights’ indicators, and although it was not enough for a first place this time, we are still ranked as the number one most sustainable food ingredient company. This reinforces our unwavering commitment to the Power of Good Bacteria™ and a future defined by natural ingredients,” says CEO Mauricio Graber.
“Chr. Hansen’s overall purpose is to contribute to a better world through the natural and microbial solutions we deliver. We are grateful for the reinforcement of our position at the top of the world’s most sustainable companies and appreciate the good collaboration with our customers that support our continued journey towards a greener future for the planet.”
A catalyst for change
The renewed ranking in the world elite of most sustainable companies comes after a remarkable 2019 for the 145-year-old company. Highlights of the year included the no. 1 position on Corporate Knights’ list, inclusion on Fortune Magazine’s Change the World List of 50 companies that do well by doing good and the Golden Peacock Global Award for Sustainability presented in London as recently as November.
Another milestone in Chr. Hansen’s sustainability journey was reached when the company announced a groundbreaking agreement with Better Energy of switching 100% to green electricity from two new solar parks, wind energy and bio gas for its Danish operations by April 2020. Through its engagement in establishing the new solar parks, Chr. Hansen is contributing positively to the transition to green energy in Denmark as a whole. While its Danish operations account for almost half of the company’s total electricity consumption, the model is scalable and can be introduced in other countries going forward.
“All these elements have truly been a catalyst for change and an even stronger focus on what we can do to contribute to a more sustainable future; mobilizing and inspiring all employees to do more and meeting the increasing expectations and ambition levels from our customers and investors,”
“The time is now for individuals, corporations and governments to work together and take action. At Chr. Hansen we are determined to keep pioneering science and innovate to enable a resilient food system from farm to fork; Fighting food waste and the overuse of antibiotics and chemical pesticides.” Mauricio Graber concludes.
The background for ranking Chr. Hansen the second most sustainable company in the world 2020:
- Chr. Hansen improved its total score against Corporate Knights’ indicators. Although this was not enough for a first place this year, the company is still ranked as the number 1 most sustainable food ingredient company.
- Clean revenue: Chr. Hansen has been able to account for and document its direct product impact on the UN Global Goals. 82% of the revenue directly supports the UN Global Goals, and PWC has reviewed the methodology to document this.
- The UN Global Goals are used as a framework to link the impact of the corporate strategy to sustainable development, and the performance is measured and reported on an annual basis.
- Environmental performance: Chr. Hansen scored high relative to its peers on its environmental performance, specifically related to energy, CO2, water and waste. Continuously reducing its environmental footprint has been a priority during the past year. During 2019 it led to the partnership with Better Energy where Chr. Hansen committed to switching 100% green electricity from two new solar parks, wind energy and bio gas for its Danish operations by April 2020
- Diversity: We score high on % of female directors, and also get some points from female senior executives and sustainability pay link
About Corporate Knights and the ranking “Global 100”
Corporate Knights Inc., the company for clean capitalism, includes the sustainable business magazine Corporate Knights and a research division that produces rankings and financial product ratings based on corporate sustainability performance.
The Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World is an annual project initiated by Corporate Knights. Launched in 2005, the Global 100 is announced annually on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Chr. Hansen is a leading, global bioscience company that develops natural solutions for the food, nutritional, pharmaceutical and agricultural industries. We develop and produce cultures, enzymes, probiotics and natural colors for a rich variety of foods, confectionery, beverages, dietary supplements, animal feed, and plant protection. Our product innovation is based on around 40,000 microbial strains – we like to refer to them as “good bacteria”. Our solutions enable food manufacturers to produce more with less – while also reducing the use of chemicals and other synthetic additives – which makes our products highly relevant in today’s world. Sustainability is an integral part of Chr. Hansen’s vision to improve food and health. In 2019 Chr. Hansen was ranked as the world’s most sustainable company by Corporate Knights thanks to our strong sustainability efforts and our many collaborative partnerships with our customers. We have been delivering value to our partners – and, ultimately, end consumers worldwide – for over 145 years. We are proud that more than one billion people consume products containing our natural ingredients every day. Chr. Hansen was founded in 1874 and is listed on Nasdaq Copenhagen.